Asphalt shingles are the most commonly used roofing material in North America. Asphalt shingles are made from a fiberglass base and are topped with asphalt and mineral granules. They are known for being lightweight, inexpensive and easy to install.
Unlike single shake and slate shingles that are installed individually one by one, asphalt shingles come in sheets that are layered onto your roof. This makes the installation process much less labor intensive and much quicker. Asphalt shingles generally have a 20-30 year lifespan but can be easily damaged, requiring regular maintenance and repairs.
Advantages of Asphalt Shingles
- Every roofing company is familiar with installing these shingles
- Quick and easy for professionals to install
- Easy to repair or replace
- Available in a range of shapes, styles and colors
Disadvantages of Asphalt Shingles
- Easily damaged because they are lightweight
- Excess moisture and heat can shorten their lifespan
- Damage to shingles can expose your roof structure to the elements
- Excess moisture can lead to the growth of moss or vegetation
While it may be tempting to try and lay asphalt shingles yourself, it is best to leave this to the professionals! Cross Country Construction can save you time and money by installing or replacing your asphalt roof.
Other roofing materials Cross Country Construction specializes in include: