The Top Benefits to Choosing Vinyl Siding

green vinyl siding close up

Vinyl siding is a durable plastic that is commonly used on the exterior of residential homes for its aesthetic appeal and weatherproofing. 

Vinyl imitates wood at a much lower price point and comes in a number of different colors. Vinyl siding is an engineered product primarily from PVC resin (80%), with the other 20% being ingredients for color, opacity, gloss, resistance, flexibility and durability. 

It is the most commonly installed exterior cladding for residential construction in both the United States and Canada because of its price point and easy maintenance. 

(Read more about the common causes of vinyl siding damage here)

Seven benefits to choosing vinyl siding include: 

1) Vinyl Siding is Low Maintenance 

Vinyl siding is easy to maintain as the color goes through the panels. That means that it does not need to be repainted, sanded, scraped, patched or primed. Vinyl siding only needs to be cleaned annually (or semi-annually), depending on your preference. 

Its appearance can be maintained by simply spraying it down with a garden hose to eliminate any dust, cobwebs or other debris. If you encounter tougher stains or soiling, simply add some mild soap to your water or cleaning routine. 

Vinyl is essentially maintenance-free and offers exceptional longevity. Think of it like your car, it requires periodic cleaning to maintain its appearance. 

2) Retains Color 

Vinyl siding is coated with a color layer that runs all the way through the siding. Since color goes all the way through the material, it won’t fade or dim over time. That means that your vinyl will not need to be painted because the color cannot be mechanically abraded, scratched off or stripped.


Vinyl siding on residential home

3) It’s Versatile 

Vinyl siding comes in hundreds of colors and textures to make your vision come to life. There is a wide range of insulated, traditional and decorative styles for every possible taste. 

4) It’s Durable 

Vinyl siding is strong, reliable and virtually indestructible. It does not dent easily and you don’t have to worry about warping, splitting, rotting or insect damage. It is resistant to harsh weather conditions (e.g. wind, heat, cold, and moisture) and fading. 

Certain brands of vinyl siding are rated to resist winds up to 200 miles per hour! 

5) Mold and Mildew Resistant 

Vinyl siding can also prevent the formation of mold and mildew because it allows moisture to escape. Preventative actions can also be taken by regularly (annually or semi-annually) cleaning your siding with soap and water. 

6) Insulating Qualities 

Vinyl siding is a slow conductor, meaning that heat and cold do not transfer as quickly as they would with other materials (E.g. aluminum or exterior cladding). For that reason, homes that are sided with vinyl typically stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. This has serious advantages, besides your own comfort, including a lower electric/gas bill. 

7) Affordability

Vinyl siding is an inexpensive and cost-effective option for homeowners. The installation cost is typically lower than that of cedar siding, fiber cement or brick. Since it is low maintenance, the cost savings can also be felt in the long-term. 

Those are just some of the reasons that vinyl siding is a popular choice among homeowners. If you’re looking for a siding contractor Rockford IL, don’t hesitate to call Cross Country Construction.

Leave a Replay

Cross Country Construction

Cross Country Construction is a full-service contractor in Roscoe, IL.  We expertly perform all construction projects from roofing to gutters to interior remodeling.  Call us at (815) 315-0637 to learn more.

Recent Posts

Follow Us

Thank you! We need your help. Would you share your experience on one of these sites?